Adventures in Wander-land - Mozambique and Honduras

My year in Mozambique and Honduras

Tegucigalpa

Tegucigalpa

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Half way through...


This blog is going back a few weeks...I am trying to catch up with myself as I haven’t posted one in so long:

Week 8 -
I am now just over half way through my time in Mozambique! I know I keep saying it, but it really has gone so quickly.  

I arrived at the ACOORD office on Thursday at 8.30am to find that it was locked. Not a huge problem as it gave me more time to prepare my lesson, ‘expressing ability with Be able to’. By 10, when I should be starting to teach, the office was still locked, so I translated Tiberio’s CV for him. At around 11, everyone suddenly left. As I wasn’t sure where they’d gone, I stayed, until 12ish when the office was finally unlocked. Celeste then told me that they didn’t want a lesson today. This has become really normal for me. I love the ACOORD office. It is so ‘Mozambican’ it’s untrue. As they have no money at the moment, it’s only really Calisto that seems to have much to do. They all do work hard but also Amelia plays Pacman, Celeste naps and Tibério plays music which I sing to and Benilda, I’m not sure what her distraction is but she must have one. 

Nick and I had Museu burgers for lunch and had the pleasure of being serenaded by Aunty Sarah. Aunty Sarah was from Swaziland and a HUGE fan of the British and came over to our table as she heard us speaking English. She was about 60, wore a yellow football shirt and had a delightful curly wig. She invited us to pop in and visit anytime; she lives opposite Hotel Cardoso. When she found out that I lived in Opica, she was even more excited as she knew ‘someone that had lived there, but had died several years ago’, “Did I know him?” Sadly I didn’t. She told us she was a singer and asked if she could play us a song...she proceeded to play us a mean tune on the harmonica! The empty glass in her hand didn’t detract from the fact she seemed genuinely delighted to have found a British person.

I threw myself into chores for the rest of the day, which although not hugely important, help to make me feel that on days like that, that I am achieving something! It helps me as sometimes there are days when I feel like I am going backwards. I need a routine and to be busy or I become exhausted and lethargic and struggle to do anything! 

I also finally joined the gym on Thursday! The first time I looked around, everything seemed to work. On closer inspection, that wasn’t quite the case. There are 4 running machines, yet only 3 seemed to be working. I then realised that this is because there are only 3 plug sockets and so the 4th can’t be plugged in! Some of the bikes don’t have pedals and the rowing machine rocks back and forth as you row. Of course, there is no air conditioning, but there are conveniently placed holes in the walls. Despite all of this, in true Mozambican fashion...the front door has a finger print scanner! The door may always be open and in fact, have panes of glass missing, but still, before you can enter, you must scan your fingerprint! 

On Friday, I went to the Art Market with Lea, Anjuli and Gabby. I was haggling with a man over some bracelets, which were overpriced, as it’s the touristy area. I walked off eventually as I had to leave, and then decided I did really want them, but when the girls went back for me, he’d sold them. This has happened with various handbags and shoes that I’ve seen on the street, so I have come to the conclusion, if you want it, buy it! I did, however, buy the ‘fish’ capulana which I have wanted for ages. I think I will make it into a dress.

We went to Teacher’s bar on Friday eve which is great as a pint is only 0.65p and it’s not too busy. I also had my first Mozambican KFC; Spinkle Pops (Popcorn chicken) and fries, which come with chilli salt! We went to the Hash on Saturday and to our delight (I have never seen Chris so happy), not only did Nick have to long-arm his pint; he was also chosen as Hash Shit. (Pictures to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment