Adventures in Wander-land - Mozambique and Honduras

My year in Mozambique and Honduras

Tegucigalpa

Tegucigalpa

Monday 8 August 2011

And the packing commences...

I have compiled the ULTIMATE packing list, everything you could ever want/need...the only problem being...it is not designed to fit into a rucksack! I have laid everything out on the bed, in super organised piles and now don't have the energy to try (and quite possibly fail) to pack it all.On the plus side, I think I may offer the final list to Lonely Planet, I could make a fortune from being so efficient/over prepared.

I have just taken my first malaria tablet and now it is all starting to feel more real. For the last three days I have been veering between completely calm and completely panicked! I am worried that I have spent far too much time downloading ebooks for my Kindle and audiobooks for my iPod and far too little time brushing up on my Portuguese. I wish I hadn't let on that it is actually my degree subject as then I could have wowed my family/project as opposed to underwhelming them, although I suppose that's what 11 hour plane journeys are for...perhaps I can find an ebook called "Re-teach yourself Portuguese!"

My Kindle is my new favourite thing. I could read for hours and was honestly considering using most of 23kg baggage allowance for books, until someone mentioned a Kindle. I'd always prefer a book but given the choice of an 'almost book' or no books, I chose the 'almost'. I forgot that I then also had to buy the books so most of my 28 are the free "classics". Jane Eyre = great, The Book of Were-Wolves = maybe not quite as great, but still free so I intend to read it! Natwest actually blocked my card because they thought all the ebook/iTunes activity was down to fraud. I found myself explaining that I don't always spend so much on books and music, as if the woman was secretly judging me. 

People keep asking me..."why Mozambique? Why not Portugal? It's a lot closer and more convenient!" I'm not sure I'm one for convenience so it shouldn't really be a surprise! Also, people keep asking me what exactly I'm going to be doing. When I can't really give them an answer for either question, they look at me as if to say, "good luck with that!"

Nothing to do with Mozambique but it made me laugh - Grandma came for supper on Sunday to say goodbye to me. Supper was lovely and then, promptly at 6.45pm, she said, "I must go. I'll let you all get to bed!" Classic Grandma. 

Now, I really should start packing!
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice - Glad to hear you got the Kindle. You won't regret it - they're great!

    ReplyDelete