Adventures in Wander-land - Mozambique and Honduras

My year in Mozambique and Honduras

Tegucigalpa

Tegucigalpa

Monday 12 March 2012

Post holiday blues...

This blog is a little late but here it is nonetheless. It is also a little whiny...forgive me; it was one of those weeks, just one things after another!

Coming back to Tegus after Nicaragua left me with serious post holiday blues, the worst part being that I went from being surrounded by friends to having no friends at all! I really don’t have any friends in the city...it’s quite sad. Settling back into work was difficult; I really struggle with having no set role and little or nothing to do. I taught a few children/mums to make bracelets, tidied some of the toys, downloaded cross stitch patterns and attempted to cross stitch an elephant but that was pretty much it. That leaves me with quite a few empty hours in my 7 hour day. Also, although I really like the family I live with, it can be really hard at times, with young children and sharing a room. I was exhausted and a little stressed so got a wisdom tooth infection which was excruciating. It was made worse by the fact that I’d managed to burn the entire roof of my mouth on boiling hot anafres – melted quesillo (cheese) and frijoles that you eat with tortilla chips.

The family all go to church on Sunday, so I either have to stay home alone, or find something to do, which invariably means going to the mall. I went to the cinema on my own for the first time ever and watched Hugo in 3D. For £1.90, the cinema is one of the cheapest things you can do here. They are a little behind and you have to avoid the dubbed films, but I’m catching up on some of the films I missed whilst I was in Mozambique.

I’ve never been a big internet user before, but with a lot of time to kill, I’ve started trawling through StumbleUpon, Wanelo and 8tracks, which is brilliant and my new favourite thing.

Knowing that I was going to Utila on the Friday kept me going! I think I may have snapped at various points if I hadn't had that to look forward to. 

(Moan over)

No comments:

Post a Comment